Saturday 15 September 2012

Day 1: I Have Wood

The building of the cabinet can be found in my MAME page on the side bar (MAME Cabinet Build).

So I have the wood, screws and glue for my cabinet shell. Here's the lovely workshop and would be home for the cabinet, it's going roughly to the left of the odd looking wooden box on the wall, where the red bucket is.


If there's one kind of shop I cannot stand it's those that preach daily in the adverts that they are cheap when in reality they are quite the opposite. The theory, I guess, is if you tell people often enough they'll eventually believe it.

One case is B&Q. I've never been in there once and found something cheaper elsewhere, including little tiny DIY shops with no bulk buying power. For example, a pack of 100 4x35mm screws will cost you about £6. Go to the trade counter and it's £2.15 for 200. That's a markup on trade of 600%. Pop along to Screwfix and do you know what the price is? £2.15. Screwfix and B&Q are the same shop

Obviously the reason is convenience, just don't believe the adverts. You want hardware? go to a builders merchant (or Screwfix or even your local DIY corner shop), you want wood go to a timber yard. They aren't scary. The other way, of course, is create yourself a headed logo, take it to B&Q and open a trade account. Just don't pay the price at B&Q. Homebase, etc. are all the same.

Anyway, check my cabinet build in the link above, I'm off for a night in with the lads (beer, curry, board games and poker).

No comments:

Post a Comment