Wednesday 26 September 2012

Day 6 Shapes and Batons

Not much done today. Spent 30 minutes in the morning rounding the corners. Found a suitable circle (a spray can top) and jigsawed the curves from the control panel and marquee. After sanding, I drew round the curves onto the other side and repeated.

I was out shopping on the weekend and thought I'd see what I could use to retain the marquee and screen. I was going to just use some kind of quadrant, but then saw you can get 18mm right angled quadrants, which means for the marquee you just fix them with a gap and the marquee slips in nicely.

I then saw you can get aluminium ones (fairly cheap too) and so the plan now (unless it looks garish) is to use these aluminium right-angled quadrants for the marquee and to finish off the edge of the control panel, and maybe anywhere else.

So I figured maybe T-Molding is a good idea and I can use chrome molding. But, welcome to rip-off Britain. I searched online for a slotted router bit to put some grooves in to fit T-Molding and the prices ranged from £30 to £80. In America the bit is £9. Rounding and painting the edge chrome/silver will probably look crap so I'll see if I can find a wood shop who'll do it for a tenner or something.

You'd think the likes of arcade supply websites (e.g. gremline arcade controls) or even arcade forums (e.g. arcadecontrols.com) would have somebody selling these cheap.....

No comments:

Post a Comment